Frequently Asked Questions

Can I bring Children with?
Yes you can. There are many English program schools for you to enroll your children at.
Is there an age restriction for applying?
There is no age restriction for applying to do the course. The most important thing is that you have the required credentials to apply for the course. See our TEFL Course requirements.
What about Medical Aid?
We will assist you in opening a Thai Bank Account which automatically covers you for accident insurance for up to 30 000 THB. In addition to that, it is compulsory that 10% of your salary is paid monthly to Social Security Insurance which covers you for unlimited prescription medication, Dental, Optometrists etc. 5% of your salary will be deducted every month and the company pays the other 5% for you as per the legislation.
What driving license do I need?
An international driver’s license is required to drive a car or ride a motorcycle. In South Africa you can take your driver’s license to an AA office where they will issue you with an international driver’s license booklet which is valid for one year. The cost for this is minimal and well worth doing before you leave. It takes only a few minutes of your time, you will receive it immediately. Remember to take your ID, Passport and proof of address with you!
How Safe is it?
Overall, Thailand is a safe nation in which to travel. Physical attacks and other crimes against "the person" are far less likely than in many other "developed" nations. When considering your personal safety "common sense precautions" still reign supreme - just like anywhere else. The Thais are a non-threatening, peaceful nation. It is fondly referred to as the “Land of Smiles” and for good reason. If you are planning to hire a scooter and you are not an experienced rider, it would be a good idea to learn how to ride properly before getting onto some of the roads in Thailand, the traffic rules are somewhat different to the ones back home and can be quite challenging and scary in the beginning, but once you get used to it, you will be fine.
What about Malaria?
There is no malaria transmission in urban areas. Most cases are from the borders especially Thai – Myanmar and Thai – Cambodia borders. There is no risk in municipal areas or major tourist resorts such as Bangkok, Chiangmai, Pattaya, Phuket and Samui. For more information please visit Or
Freedom of Religion?

Thai law provides for freedom of religion, and the government generally respects this right in practice. It does not, however, register new religious groups that have not been accepted into one of the existing religious governing bodies on doctrinal or other grounds. In practice, unregistered religious organizations operate freely, and the government's practice of not recognizing any new religious groups does not restrict the activities of unregistered religious groups.

The government officially limits the number of foreign missionaries that may work in the country, although unregistered missionaries are present in large numbers and are allowed to live and work freely. There have been no widespread reports of societal abuses or discrimination based on religious belief or practice. However, in the far southern border provinces, continued separatist violence has resulted in mistrust in relations between the Buddhist and Muslim communities.

Is there a specific Dress Code for Teachers?


Here are some criteria that you need to follow:

  • If you have tattoos, cover them up.
  • If you have long hair, tie it up.
  • Unless it’s a really cool and well groomed beard, chances are it will have to be shaved off
  • Long pants.
  • Collared shirt.
  • Smart shoes.

Smart, collared shirt – if you have tattoos on your arms then it is best to bring long sleeve shirts.

Tie (it is best to begin your job wearing a tie for good impression, and later you may be allowed to remove it for comfort sake).

Long pants (not jeans) – preferably slacks, or cinos. Basically something that looks formal.

Smart close toed shoes (no sneakers of any sort).


Here are some criteria that you need to follow:

  • No shoulders showing.
  • No cleavage showing.
  • In some cases no knees showing.

This means that anything that follows those criteria is suitable to wear in the classroom.

Here’s some example of smart dress:

  • Smart collared shirt or a blouse.
  • Skirt that covers the knees.
  • Dress that covers the knees and shoulders.
  • Most shoes except sandals, platforms, and super high heels.

If you follow these tips and guidelines on how to dress appropriately as a teacher in Thailand, your school will embrace you and your position will be more secure. For those who ignore the dress code, you will risk reprimand or even dismissal.

What is the cost of living and salary?

Most teachers start around 30,000 Thai Baht per month (about $1,000 USD), which is a comfortable salary, especially for teachers outside of Bangkok. It’s enough to live with the necessary Western amenities, and it’s double what local teachers earn, but Thailand isn’t the best choice if savings or paying off a college loan is what you have in mind.

As the cost of living tends to be relatively inexpensive, teachers find they live fairly comfortably, despite the lower pay-scale. Penny pinchers will do their best to finance travel excursions to one of Thailand's many neighboring countries, or better yet, adventures to other exciting areas of Thailand.

Can I get Citizenship?

You can apply for Thai citizenship if you are working in Thailand or are married with a Thai spouse and/or have a child born in Thailand.

In all cases you will also have to fulfil the following conditions to apply for Thai citizenship:

  • You must have lived in Thailand continuously, for at least five years before applying.
  • Be a permanent resident.
  • Be 18 years old or older and have reached legal majority in your country of origin.
  • Be well behaved and have a good background (criminal record; political background; involvement with illegal drugs and, in the case of Vietnamese applicants, personal behavior will be checked).
  • Know the Thai language, including speaking, listening and understanding.
  • Be able to sing the National Anthem Sanserm Phra Baramee and pass an interview in Thai conducted by government officers.

Citizen of western countries (i.e. US, UK, Canada, Australia, France) can have dual citizenship in most cases (e.g. Thai citizenship and their original nationality).

Once your application for Thai citizenship has been approved, there will be a lot of waiting. You will be asked to appear at the Interior Ministry for a Thai language test. If you pass the test you will be asked to come back to the Thai Ministry and sing the Thai National Anthem and the King´s song Phra Baramee.

Afterwards you will be interviewed while the Thai officials visit your house to ascertain that the details you submitted on your application form are correct.

Among the others requirements, you will be expected to swear an oath and appear at your local police station dressed well and holding a candle, flowers and incense. You will have to swear allegiance to the King and to the country of Thailand. This, however, is not the end as you will then have to wait for a confirmation by the Ministry of the Interior that your Thai citizenship has been awarded.

Can I get a Non-B Visa?

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Business Visa) is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom to work or to conduct business.

  1. Foreigners who wish to work in Thailand must provide the following documents:
    • Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months.
    • Completed visa application form.
    • Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.
    • Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).
    • Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labor. To obtain this letter, the applicant’s prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labor Tel. 02-2452745, or at the Provincial Employment Office in his or her respective province. More information is available at
    • Copy of Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labor and alien income tax or Por Ngor Dor 91 (only in the case where applicant has previously worked in Thailand).
    • Corporate documents of hiring company in Thailand such as:
      1. Business registration and business license.
      2. List of shareholders.
      3. Company profile.
      4. Details of business operation.
      5. List of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions.
      6. Map indicating location of the company.
      7. Balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30 of the latest year).
      8. Value-added tax registration (Por Por 20).
    • Document indicating the number of foreign tourists (for tourism business only), or document indicating export transactions issued by banks (for export business only).
    • An alien who receives a Non-Immigrant visa can work in Thailand once he or she is being granted a work permit. An alien in violation of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning taking up employment without work permit or the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning holding employment in certain restricted occupations and professions shall be prosecuted and imprisoned or fined, or shall face both penalties.
    • It is recommended that the applicant should apply for visa at the Thai Embassy/ Consulate in the country where he/she has the residence.
  2. Foreigners who wish to conduct business in Thailand must provide the following documents:
    • Passport or travel document with a validity of not less than 6 months.
    • Completed application form.
    • Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) photograph of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.
    • Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family) for the duration of stay in Thailand.
    • Letter from the applicant’s company indicating the applicant’s position, length of employment, salary and purpose of visit(s) to Thailand.
    • Documents showing correspondence with business partners in Thailand.
    • Evidence of financial status in the case where the applicant is self-employed.
    • Letter of invitation from trading or associated partners/companies in Thailand.
    • Corporate documents of associated partners/companies in Thailand such as:
      1. Business registration and business license.
      2. List of shareholders.
      3. Company profile.
      4. Details of business operation.
      5. Map indicating location of the company.
      6. Balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30) of the latest year Value-added tax registration (Por Por 20).

      Copies of company documents must be signed by the Board of Directors or Authorised Managing Director and affix seal of company.

Additional documents may be requested as and when necessary. In the absence of a required document, applicant must provide a letter explaining the unavailability of such document. Applicant must endorse on each and every page of the submitted copies of documentation. Documents in foreign languages must be translated into Thai and should be notarized by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days. He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and may be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand.

Where can I expect to get a teaching position? In a Rural area or in a City?

We at E & W TEFL Academy will always try to accommodate you as best we can. We can unfortunately never guarantee where the position will be after graduation though. There may at times be two or three schools to choose from but again there is never a guarantee that you will always have the option to choose.